Sunday, September 23, 2018

Jaxon's Sacrament Talk

Kia Ora everyone!
My name is Jaxon Wihongi for those who don’t know me.  My Dad is Jason and my Mum is Candi I have an older brother on a mission in North Carolina and I have three sisters, I’m the third child and the favorite child. I go to Taylorsville high school and I like to play rugby.

I was asked to give a talk about the importance of the Holy Ghost in my life.

Who is the Holy Ghost? When I was younger I learned from primary and FHE that the Holy Ghost is a spirit. He gives you warm fuzzy feelings, comforts you like a cozy blankie and helps you make good choices.

As I got older I learned that the Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead and that he is very important to our eternal salvation. He also testifies of the truth of all things and of our savior Jesus Christ. He can help you to overcome temptations. He can warn you of danger and guide you in your life.

The gift of the Holy Ghost comes by the laying on of hands after baptism. This qualifies us for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. To perform this ordinance, worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holders place their hands upon the head of the individual, call him or her by name, state their priesthood authority, and in the name of Jesus Christ, confirm him or her a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and utter the important phrase “Receive the Holy Ghost.”

One important lesson I learned about the Holy Ghost this week is how not to receive his guidance and inspiration. My parents told me early in the week to start on the talk and I ignored their advice and procrastinated until yesterday. I found receiving any inspiration difficult and my mind was blank. Instead of receiving the still small voice of the Holy Ghost throughout the week. I received the unsettled, loud voices of my parents last night. But in this talk, I want to focus on one of my favorite roles of the Holy Ghost, which is the Comforter.

I’m going to share with you a story from a 2017 General Conference talk given by Gary E. Stevenson he says, I share the true account of a family with five sons who moved from Los Angeles, California, USA, to a small community some years ago. The two oldest sons began playing high school sports and associating with friends, leaders, and coaches—many of whom were faithful members of the Church. These relationships helped lead to the baptism of Fernando, the oldest, and his next younger brother.

Fernando later moved away from home, where he continued his education and played college football. He married his high school sweetheart, Bayley, in the temple. As Fernando and Bayley finished their schooling, they eagerly anticipated the birth of their first child—a baby girl. But during the process of their families helping to move Fernando and Bayley back home, Bayley and her sister were driving on the freeway and were in a tragic accident involving many vehicles. Bayley and her unborn daughter lost their lives.

Yet as deep as was Fernando’s pain, as well as that of Bayley’s parents and siblings, so too was the depth of contrasting peace and comfort that distilled upon them almost immediately. The Holy Ghost in His role as Comforter truly sustained Fernando through this incomprehensible affliction. The Spirit communicated an abiding peace that led Fernando to an attitude of forgiveness and love toward everyone involved in the tragic crash.

Bayley’s parents called her brother who was serving as a missionary at the time of the accident. He described in a letter his feelings upon hearing the difficult news of his beloved sister: “It was amazing to hear your voices so calm in the midst of a tempest. I did not know what to say. … All I could think of is my sister may not be there when I come home. … I was comforted by your infallible testimonies of the Savior and His plan. The same sweet spirit that brings me to the verge of tears as I study and teach filled my heart. I was then comforted and reminded of the things that I know.”
The Holy Ghost will help you by comforting you, as He did Fernando and Bayley’s family.

This story reminded me of when my grandma was passing away I was scared because I didn’t want to lose her.

All our family was with her in her room we knew she was dying we sang church songs to her while she layed in her bed. Everyone was crying, I was balling my eyes out but at the same time I felt the love of my family, it was felt the whole 3days we were with her.

Just after she passed away and I would be alone in my room at night the sad feelings would return but I would say a prayer, I know that my Heavenly father heard them and would send me the holy ghost to comfort me, I would have dreams of my grandma reuniting with her husband in heaven. And that would make me feel better knowing my grandma is happy to be with grandpa again. I know that the holy ghost helped and comforted me during this trial in my life. Just like he did Fernando and Bayley’s family.

And this is why I know that the Holy Ghost is important to me.

In closing I’d like to bear my testimony, I know my Heavenly Father loves me and I know my Savior lives, they are real. I know families can be together forever through his plan. And that the Holy is helping me do that, he will always be there for me when I need him most.
And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.