Thursday, December 14, 2023

The Light of Christ - Mum's talk for RS 12/14

When I was young, about 12yrs old, I was swimming at the river with my sisters, cuzzies and friends, like we usually do on a beautiful sunny day in NZ. That day we were swimming by one of the huge concrete pillars that holds up the bridge. We were standing on a fallen tree that was sticking half in and out of the water,  jumping off it into the current, swimming with the current down a bit, getting out on the side and doing it all over again. Out of the blue one of my mischievous cuzzies pushed me off of the tree and I fell into the water unprepared.  Immediately the current pulled me downwards right near the concrete pillar under the water, it was pitch black and the water got colder. I used all my strength to try and swim upwards back to the surface where I could see the light. I wanted so badly to get back up to that warm radiant light, where my sisters, cuzzies and friends were waiting….But the current was too strong, and the cold dark water enveloped me. I was scared. I was running out of breath and my fear turned into panic. At that point the only thing I could do was to pray -  

Sometimes life is like this experience I had. Sometimes in life we are in dark cold places, and sometimes it gets scary and it can happen out of the blue. Sometimes we make bad choices, we lose a loved one, you could be fighting an ongoing illness, going through unemployment or financial hardship, are alone and feel unloved. It is through Christ where we find the light to lead us out of those dark times.


During His mortal ministry, Jesus said, “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”


The Light of Christ is given to all who come into the world. It is the source of our conscience which tells us naturally what is good and evil. But it's more. It is His love, it is His grace, His mercy, it is His truth, it is His spirit.


A few weeks ago, Sister Belnap gave a wonderful talk in sacrament reminding us about the parable of the 10 virgins. I wanted to emphasize that again and talk a little about the oil and the light.


When we put oil in our lamps it is the same as receiving this light and it can grow within us. When we ask God for repentance, when we forgive others, when we pray and exercise faith in God, when we love and be kind, when we renew and keep covenants all these things give us more light, it can give us strength and we’re able to face any of the dark times.


Christ also said, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”


You can shine your light through your love. The Apostle John mentioned this in a recent Come Follow Me Lesson that, “He that loveth his brother abideth in the light”. 

Even though we may not be able to share the oil in our lamps, we can share the light. The oil in your lamp is your obedience to the commandments, sharing your light is your example of keeping those commandments.  The oil in your lamp is your faith, your testimony and sharing your light is bearing your testimony to others and sharing your faith. The oil in your lamp is the love you have in your heart and sharing your light is the love you are showing others through kindness and service and kind words. The oil in your lamp is having the spirit with you through your faithfulness and sharing that light is inviting others to have opportunities to feel that spirit, coming to church, ministering, teaching them. So although you can’t give away your oil they can see your light and they can choose to fill oil in their own lamps. 


There have been many people that have influenced me and shared their light of Christ with me, for instance I had a very kind Primary teacher who I loved, and if it wasn’t for her I probably would not have gone to church. In Seminary, I had the best teachers but one especially encouraged me just with her lessons to love my scriptures, I would carefully mark my scriptures and write little notes on the side of them. Because of her I had the desire to wake up at 5am and bike 6 miles to our chapel for that hour of Seminary before School starts. These wonderful sister’s shared their light with me and helped me want to be good and do good. You beautiful sister’s also share your light with me, by your examples, and service and lessons, and kind words and deeds to me and my family. You are my family and I love you and appreciate you all.


So back to that scary moment when I was sinking in the dark, cold waters of the river because I was tired and out of breath from fighting the current and all I could do was pray. After I pleaded for help from Heavenly Father,  I stopped struggling and swimming and let the current pull me down under the water and through a scary darkness, and I went under the pillar and popped up on the other side of it into the light where the water was calm. Never had the sun and the air feel so good. No one was there to see me cry and no one knew I nearly drowned, except my HF. 


I know because of my faith in God, that I could pray to him to get me out of that dark situation. He knew the best escape was to go under and through the darkness, the opposite of my natural instincts, but I came out on top, into the light on the other side. Sometimes the Lord allows you to go through those dark times but when you put your trust in Him, even when you think you’re at a point when all hope is lost, you’ll find calm waters and salvation on the other side - you’ll find His Light!  You’ll find that He was with you all the way. And you’ll find that your light will have gotten brighter because of that experience.


In D&C 50:24, it says, “That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.”


Testimony


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.