Sunday, July 14, 2024

Eranas Talk - Converted unto the Lord

Good morning, my name is Erana Wihongi. My remarks today are from a talk named “Converted unto the Lord” by David A. Bednar from General Conference in October 2012.

Elder Bednar says:

“Testimony is the beginning of and a prerequisite to continuing conversion. Testimony is a point of departure; it is not an ultimate destination. Strong testimony is the foundation upon which conversion is established. 

Testimony alone is not and will not be enough to protect us in the latter-day storm of darkness and evil in which we are living. Testimony is important and necessary but not sufficient to provide the spiritual strength and protection we need. Some members of the Church with testimonies have wavered and fallen away. Their spiritual knowledge and commitment did not measure up to the challenges they faced. 

An important lesson about the connection between testimony and conversion is evident in the missionary labors of the sons of Mosiah. “As many as were brought to the knowledge of the truth, through the preaching of Ammon and his brethren, according to the spirit of revelation and of prophecy, and the power of God working miracles in them—yea, … as the Lord liveth, as many of the Lamanites as believed in their preaching, and were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away. “For they became a righteous people; they did lay down the weapons of their rebellion, that they did not fight against God any more. … “Now, these are they who were converted unto the Lord” (Alma 23:6–8). 

Two major elements are described in these verses: (1) the knowledge of the truth, which may be interpreted as a testimony, and (2) converted unto the Lord, which I understand to be conversion to the Savior and His gospel. Thus, the powerful combination of both testimony and conversion unto the Lord produced firmness and steadfastness and provided spiritual protection. They never did fall away and surrendered “the weapons of their rebellion, that they did not fight against God any more.” To set aside cherished “weapons of rebellion” such as selfishness, pride, and disobedience requires more than merely believing and knowing. Conviction, humility, repentance, and submissiveness precede the abandonment of our weapons of rebellion. 

Do you and I still possess weapons of rebellion that keep us from becoming converted unto the Lord? If so, then we need to repent now. Note that the Lamanites were not converted to the missionaries who taught them or to the excellent programs of the Church. They were not converted to the personalities of their leaders or to preserving a cultural heritage or the traditions of their fathers. They were converted unto the Lord—to Him as the Savior and to His divinity and doctrine—and they never did fall away. 

A testimony is spiritual knowledge of truth obtained by the power of the Holy Ghost. Continuing conversion is constant devotion to the revealed truth we have received—with a heart that is willing and for righteous reasons. Knowing that the gospel is true is the essence of a testimony. Consistently being true to the gospel is the essence of conversion. We should know the gospel is true and be true to the gospel.”

During testimony meeting at Youth conference a few weeks ago, I did bare my testimony.  However, before that, I was just sitting in the circle, planning out what I was going to say in my head until I finally stood up to bare my testimony.  Right when I started talking, I had a mind blank, and I forgot everything else I was going to say.  So, I bore what I could remember, but instead of ending my testimony with: “In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen”  I embarrassingly said: “And, um, yeah.”

Thank goodness I didn't do that again during the testimony meeting in Girls camp, which was just a few days ago.  I did have a mind blank again, though, as I could've said more, but I can't change the past so oh well.  During the girls camp testimony meeting, sister Jensen noticed that a mini miracle was happening.  The mosquitos at girls camp were a nightmare, one of the worst mosquito experiences the young women and leaders had been through as far as I know.  But during the testimony meeting, not a single mosquito was around.  And then after the testimony meeting, the mosquitos unfortunately appeared again.  Despite that being just a small miracle, it was noticed and appreciated as everyone could peacefully bare their testimony without forgetting to say ‘In the name of JC, Amen’.

I know when I bear my testimony, the spirit can confirm to me that what I am saying is true. I know my own conversion is a lifelong process, but I know as long as I stay true to the gospel and faithful to the Lord he will bless me with moments of peace, love, guidance and strength which will make my conversion be stronger.  I know if I make an effort to know the Lord I'll be converted to Him. 

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.