Sunday, June 17, 2018

Leila's Sacrament Talk - Developing Faith in Christ

Kia Ora everybody my name is Leila Wihongi, for those of you that don’t know me. My talk today is on How I can develop faith in JC.

”The Apostle Paul defines faith as “the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” We’ve heard this many times but what does it mean?
The Prophet Joseph Smith further revealed through his inspired revision of the Bible (the Joseph Smith Translation) that faith was the “assurance of things hoped for” (substituting assurance for substance). He explained that faith “is the assurance we have of the existence of unseen things. And being the assurance, … [faith] must be the principle of action in all intelligent beings.”
So I’m twelve years old and I have never seen Jesus Christ, but I know that he is real and that he lived on this earth, he atoned for our sins, he died for us, and was resurrected. He did this so that we can return to live with him and HF with our families forever. So you can say I have faith in JC, i’ve never seen him but I know that he is real.

These are some of the things that have helped me develop faith in JC. And I’m going to add my Dad in these because its fathers day and I wanted to honor him.

Prayer - I can’t remember when I first started saying my own personal prayers. But I probably started out because my parents encouraged me to say them. I see my dad saying his prayers next to his bed or during meal times. He has taught me that HF & JC hears my prayers and know who I am and I feel good when I talk to him, I know they are listening. The Apostle Paul counseled that through our prayers we “might perfect that which is lacking in [our] faith.”

Study - We gain faith like any other attribute. I have been born in the gospel. Because of this blessing, I have been taught good things in family home evening and family scripture study. Been going to  church since I was a baby, listening in primary and YW. Watching General Conf and listening to our prophet and apostles. My Dad likes to listen to the Prophet, he sometimes has his eyes closed, but tells me he’s still listening and not asleep. The Prophet Joseph Smith instructed, “Faith comes by hearing the word of God, through the testimony of the servants of God.”

Service and Sacrifice - Serving others and sacrificing my time, money, even my life, helps me to develop faith in jc. Like waking up early to do temple baptisms instead of sleeping in. Or paying tithing instead of spending it. Serving others is what Jesus did and when I do service I always think of him. My Dad has shown me and taught me that people are the most important thing in this world - if you didn’t hear his talk last week.

Personal righteousness - The Savior taught, “If any man will do [God’s] will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.” Sin is the greatest of all faith destroyers. Pride, anger, selfishness, greed, or any other form of disobedience diminishes faith, while righteousness leads to greater faith. God gave us commandments to keep me safe and to help me return back to him. I know as I live his commandments I am doing his will, and not only is HF and JC happy with me but also my earthly Dad as well.

I am grateful for all fathers in this ward for what they do for their children, and for what they do for HF and JC. Happy Father’s Day to all you father’s, keep up the good work!

I’d like to bear my testimony, that this church is true, and that JC is our Savior and Redeemer.
And I say these things in the name of JC, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.